a blog to trace the pathway of students in his/iar552 at the university of north carolina at greensboro

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Everything is Illiuminated

Our viewing of Everything is Illuminated alluded to many class readigins and discussions. The stringest link in my mind was brought on by JOnathan's collecting. It was discussed after the movie that he saved random, and somewhat odd, objects that would reminf him of the person or place he was afraid of forgetting one day. In one article we are left with the thought, are our objects remembered as we want them to be remembered or do we alter their lifetime's reality? Jonathan's cllections are reminders to him of special people and places nit without his commentary what reality would an outsider attach to these items? A glimpse into the home of the old woman's home may be a flash forward into Jonathan's collection's future. Her collections, while nearly organized, would be indecipherable to an outsider, perhaps even to Jonathan, a fellow collector.
My hopes of my memories staying attached to my beliingis have become less since examining Everything is Illiminated and articles such as this. I can even see how I have attached new meanings to objects left behind in my family and this raises a personal question, what do they really represnt?

No comments:

Post a Comment