a blog to trace the pathway of students in his/iar552 at the university of north carolina at greensboro

Thursday, April 8, 2010

It is amazing how much I love this movie. It is also amazing how it effects my mood after watching it. The music, lighting, dialogue, narration, and visuals all work together awkwardly yet seamlessly. Objects define who we are in many different senses. There are a few of us in this class who attended Meredith College. We all proudly wear the onyx we were presented with our junior year. Does the onyx define us, or do we define the onyx? I think this is the main philosophical question when nit comes to objects and their owners. I am at my parents house now and I can look around at all of the "things" surrounding me here and each holds a special memory from my past, but also outwardly could represent things about me to the outside world. By looking around my room one could learn that I love the Atlanta Braves, books, and clothes. But only to me and a select few who really know me, the memories associated with the objects come out. Every year growing up my family and I traveled to Atlanta, all six of us, for a week to go to Braves games and enjoy the city. I learned to read when I was 3 and was never caught without a book in my hand. Clothes make me feel special and unique and are my way of representing myself outwardly. Objects are important, but its the context that goes with them that is the richest most valuable of anything. I think this was represented in the movie quite well. To Jonathan, the amber was just soemthing that connected him to his grandfather, until he learned the true story behind it and then was able to let it go...

No comments:

Post a Comment