a blog to trace the pathway of students in his/iar552 at the university of north carolina at greensboro

Thursday, April 15, 2010

The World of Wall-E

This was probably my 32nd time watching this movie. Ok, maybe not that many... But still, I have seen this film many times. However never before have I paid so much attention to the small material culture details. I was struck by how big a role the sound played in getting points across about the film. All the small pops and whistles made the movie engaging. I kept thinking of the reading, "Why We Need Things" and how all of the things in the movie said so much about where we are in this design cycle.

There was a specific scene in the movie where Wall-E is on the spaceship and he is chasing Eve and he bumps into a lady named Mary. Her interactive screen vanishes, and for the first time she is free from this seemingly engaging world to actually see what is going on around her. This struck me as very interesting, because it made me think that all of the things that we have been researching and reading about in a way, keep us distracted. My cultural analysis on my BlackBerry relates to this idea and scene too.


No comments:

Post a Comment