a blog to trace the pathway of students in his/iar552 at the university of north carolina at greensboro

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Everything is Illuminated

I rented Everything is Illuminated again, over Easter break and watched it with my mom and dad. I must say, it is even better the second time around. I noticed so many more things. As far as connecting to the readings... I can't help but see a little bit in each one. I feel as though both movies that we have watched so far call the viewer to look at their own life a little bit. For EIL (Everything is Illuminated), I was curious to see what objects I associate when my own life and those that are in it. Do I define or classify people according to the objects that I associate with them? And what objects will I leave behind that describe or classify me?

As far as media culture goes, the movie was visually very stimulating. The lighting has significance, and the camera shots and colors did as well. I found this movie interesting (in the best sense) as far as material culture goes. I'm so glad that Jonathan "Jonfen" didn't have a GPS to help them through the country side. And I noticed a lack of a lot of modern electronics in general, which I found refreshing.

I think this movie calls each of us to look at what we are holding on to, objects that we may cling to in order to try and make sense of our own lives. But how freeing for Jonathan to go on a quest and learn where he came from, and he was only then able to let go of those objects to find inner peace. Indeed, a good lesson for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment